Programme and administration support officer 0.4 FTE
Open Data Manchester is civil society organisation that seeks to encourage and support a better understanding of data and its importance in society. We run a varied year round programme of work from events to research projects that align with the organisation’s aims of creating a fairer and more equitable society through the development of intelligent and responsible data practice in Greater Manchester and beyond.
To help us develop and deliver our ambition for 2018/19 we are looking for a part-time Programme and administrative support officer to work with closely with the CEO. The right candidate needs to be self-motivated, diligent, articulate, numerate, friendly and with a good range of IT skills. As we are a small organisation the role will be varied and stimulating – from supporting the running of events and workshops, to general administrative duties.
The ideal candidate will have an understanding of civic technology, open data and the role and importance of data in today’s society.
The role is for two days a week starting at the beginning of April 2018 at a full-time salary equivalent of £21,000 per annum.
Please return your application by email, in PDF, RTF, DOC, DOCX or ODT format only, to firstname.lastname@example.org, before 10.00am on Tuesday 13th March 2018.
Use the phrase “Programme and administration support officer” in the email subject.
All emails will be acknowledged automatically and if you have not had an acknowledgement within one hour please check your spam folder. If a response has not been received email email@example.com or call 0161 885 3185.
Questions regarding the post can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org before Wednesday 7th March 2018. All questions and answers will be responded to via email and if appropriate posted onto the job listing on the Open Data Manchester website.
Interviews will take place week beginning 26th March 2018.
Full job description and specification
a) Job overview
- Job title: Programme and administration support officer.
- Line manager: CEO of Open Data Manchester.
- Location: Open Data Manchester office, Federation House, Manchester and the possibility of some home working.
- Hours: 2 days per week (15 hours); days and times to be negotiated and dependent on programme. Normal office hours are 08.00 to 18.00. Open Data Manchester often holds events on evenings and at weekends, for which time off in lieu will be given.There is also the possibility of working away at times. Overtime may be worked by agreement.
- Start date: From April 2018. Exact date to be negotiated.
- Salary: £21,000 per annum FTE – i.e. £8,400 pro rata.
- Contract: This is initially a twelve month post with a probationary period of three months.
- Holidays: 33 days pro rata including bank or public holidays.
- Notice period after probationary period: Four weeks.
- Sick leave: Statutory sickness benefits apply.
- Open Data Manchester operates an auto enrollment pension scheme with 3% employer contributions. If you have an existing pension scheme, we may be able to make contributions to that.
b) Job tasks
- Support the CEO in the undertaking of their duties.
- Help field enquiries to Open Data Manchester.
- Support the running of Open Data Manchester events so that they are smooth and professional.
- Help operate Open Data Manchester’s social media accounts keeping them lively and active.
- Write compelling content for and publish Open Data Manchester’s monthly newsletter via Mailchimp.
- Update relevant content on the Open Data Manchester website.
- Support the running and documentation of workshops and training.
- Undertake administrative duties as and when required.
- Help with the planning and undertaking of projects.
- Liaise with Open Data Manchester partners.
- Help prepare and aid the running of board meetings.
d) Person specification
- A positive attitude with great self-motivation and the ability to work on your own initiative.
- Excellent communicator, verbally and in writing, to varied audiences.
- Friendly, hard-working, nummerate and articulate.
- Good teamworking skills.
- Fantastic writing and proofing skills and attention to detail.
- Fully computer and web literate – good knowledge of MS Office, Google applications, cloud-based productivity tools and social media.
- You must have the right to live and work in the UK.
- A sense of design and some knowledge of design and imaging software eg: Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator or low cost / open source equivalents.
- Some experience of data manipulation tools such as Open Refine.
- Experience of creating and maintaining wordpress websites.
- Experience of using Mailchimp.
- Cloud-based accounting software.
- Knowledge of current practice in open data.
- Event management experience.
- Interest civic technology, open data and the importance and role of data in today’s society.
Call for freelance staff (paid)
Open Data Manchester has an ambitious programme for 2018 that includes events, workshops, training and data projects. To help us deliver these projects successfully we would like to call on the Open Data Manchester community to help.
At present we are creating a register of people we can call on to help deliver forthcoming projects and the skills we will be looking for will be as diverse as the programme that we seek to deliver.
So if you are if data is your thing, you can wrangle code or manage events and help keep Open Data Manchester going please send your CV and availability to hello[@]opendatamanchester[.]org[.]uk. We can’t promise anything but we may contact you soon. See below for the rates we pay.
The rates are averaged from a number of sources and worked out as:
Half day rate is day rate / 8 * 4.5 and rounded to the nearest £10
Weekly (contiguous days) daily rate * 4.5 rounded to the nearest £10
Fortnightly (contiguous days) daily rate * 9 rounded to the nearest £10
For longer periods of work we will be offering fixed-term and fixed fee contracts.
Over the next couple of months we will start to develop a volunteer programme to do more more outreach work. If you are interested in joining us drop an email to hello[a]opendatamanchester[.]org[.]uk outlining your interests and availability. Open Data Manchester has a policy of reimbursing reasonable expenses for travel and food when volunteering.
Open Data Manchester is committed to making opportunities available to all regardless of sex, race, marital status, disability, age, part-time or fixed term contract status, sexual orientation or religion. Our Equal Opportunities Policy is a living document and can be found here.