- This event has passed.
Pick N Mix 9: an introduction to Github
June 30, 2020 @ 6:30 pm - 8:00 pm BST
A selection of 8 weekly online workshops to introduce you to new tools, resources and skills to help you on your data journey. Sessions are run by members of the Open Data Manchester community and available for anyone to participate.
Week 8: an introduction to using Github with Dr Rachael Ainsworth, Her+DataMCR.
In this session, Rachael will guide us through the basics of Github:
- Friendly introduction to version control, git and GitHub.
- Examples of how GitHub is used
- GitHub interface tour and jargon busting
- GitHub for collaboration and best practices
- Tutorial of setting up a GitHub repository/project
What you’ll need
- You’ll want to sign up for a GitHub account: https://github.com/join
- Rachael on GitHub: https://github.com/rainsworth
- Rachael on Twitter: https://twitter.com/rachaelevelyn
- HER+Data MCR Meetup group: https://www.meetup.com/HER-Data-MCR/
- HER+Data MCR Twitter: https://twitter.com/herplusdatamcr
About the Programme
Pick N Mix is a tasty selection of free weekly online workshops run by the ODM community. Each week you’ll be introduced to a tool, resource or skill in a fun, friendly and informative way.
Sessions will be carried out over Zoom, and will be interactive. Whilst the format may vary from week to week, you can expect a mixture of presentation and practical exercises that you can either do during the session supported by the tutor, or in your own time.
Pick N Mix is a free to participate community delight, with all sessions recorded and accompanying materials made openly available.
As each session has a different flavour, it’s worth checking out in advance any skill/knowledge requirements or if it’s recommended to install software in advance.
Attending one of our online events:
- Online rooms will be open at 6.20 and sessions will start prompty at 6.30.
- Please take a minute to read our code of conduct.
- If you have any questions please get in touch.
About Open Data Manchestert CIC:
Open Data Manchester CIC has been leading the way in open data practice since 2010. We advocate for responsible and intelligent data use for a fairer and more equitable society, and support individuals, communities and organisations to do so through a wide and varied programme.
We host a variety of events throughout the year, including monthly Open:Data:Night meetups, workshops and training.
Open Data Mancheste CIC is proudly supported by Luminate and the Co-op Foundation.