- This event has passed.
Pick N Mix Season 2: Text-mining in Python
December 1, 2020 @ 6:30 pm - 8:00 pmFree
A season of weekly online workshops to introduce you to new tools, resources and skills to help you on your data journey. Sessions are run by members of the Open Data Manchester community and available for anyone to participate.
This week: Text-mining in Python with Dr Julia Kasmire, UK Data Service
In this session, Julia will cover:
- a basic introduction to the concepts of structured and unstructured data
- text-mining as a method of amplifying the structure in text data
- basic text-mining processes, including tokenising, standardising, tagging, and chunking
- a brief intro to the concepts of automatic classifiers and extraction.
What you’ll need
- No prior knowedge, although it helps if you know a bit about using Python.
- If you want to follow along, open these jupyter notebooks in a browser: https://mybinder.org/v2/gh/UKDataServiceOpen/text-mining/master?filepath=code
- Alternatively, download them and run the code locally if you prefer.
- Julia on Twitter
- UK Data Service website
- I like to laugh, so feel free to share your jokes, memes and puns!
About Pick N Mix
Pick N Mix is a tasty selection of free weekly online workshops run by the ODM community. Each week you’ll be introduced to a tool, resource or skill in a fun, friendly and informative way.
Sessions will be carried out over Zoom, and will be interactive. Whilst the format may vary from week to week, you can expect a mixture of presentation and practical exercises that you can either do during the session supported by the tutor, or in your own time.
Pick N Mix is a free to participate community delight, with all sessions recorded and accompanying materials made openly available.
As each session has a different flavour, it’s worth checking out in advance any skill/knowledge requirements or if it’s recommended to install software in advance.
Attending one of our online events:
- Online rooms will be open at 6.20 and sessions will start prompty at 6.30.
- Please take a minute to read our code of conduct.
- If you have any questions please get in touch.
About Open Data Manchestert CIC
Open Data Manchester is a not-for-profit formed from a diverse group of open data advocates in 2010 that supports organisations to release data and helps people use it.
Whether working in partnership or on standalone programmes, we promote good data practice through expert advice, strong advocacy, participatory events, state-of-the-art research, technical support and interactive training.
Open Data Mancheste CIC is proudly supported by Luminate and the Co-op Foundation.