Increasingly algorithms are being used to automate decision-making in the public sector. Sometimes they are used to support humans to make final decisions, sometimes decision-making is entirely automated.
These systems can bring benefits, but they also come with risks so it’s important that these systems are used in an appropriate way.
We believe that public engagement, and accountability to the public, will be important parts of:
- ensuring that automated decision-making systems are used appropriately; and
- ensuring that the public can have confidence and trust that this is the case.
What are we doing about this?
We are working on a new project in collaboration with the Greater Manchester Combined Authority to develop a set of principles that can help embed strong public engagement and accountability around the use of automated decision-making systems in the public sector. We hope this will both:
- support the practice of those within the public sector; and
- provide a resource that those outside the public sector can use to ensure appropriate standards of public engagement and accountability.
How can you get involved?
We will be carrying out workshops and interviews to understand the needs of those who will be using the resource.
We would like to hear from:
- people who are working on public engagement, automated decision-making and/or the intersection between these two topics in the public sector,
- people working in the third sector who are interested in how public engagement is used to ensure automated decision-making systems are used appropriately, and
- anyone who can help us learn more about the use of public engagement to ensure automatic decision-making is being used appropriately.
If you’d like to take part please sign-up for one of the following workshops. We have designed some sessions for people working in the public sector, and some for those outside the public sector, and are running a mixture of online and offline sessions.
- Putting people first in AI – public sector (in person) – Thu 25 Jan 2024 2-4pm
- Putting people first in AI – non-public sector (in person) – Fri 26 Jan 2024 2-4pm
- Putting people first in AI – non-public sector (online) – Mon 29 Jan 2024 2-4pm
- Putting people first in AI – public sector (online) – Thu 1 Feb 2024 2-4pm
Following these events we will pull these ideas together to create a first draft of the principles, which we will share with people who attend the workshops and iterate based on your feedback. A final version will then be shared at an online lunchtime launch event, which you can sign up for now, on Friday 22nd March. Please note, this is a slight change to our earlier plan so please make sure you have the correct details.
Alternatively, if you’d like to share your views through a short interview or just want to find out more information, feel free to email our team. We look forward to hearing from you.